Pan Seared Sea Scallops on Sautéed Greens
- 18 medium scallops
- 2 teaspoons Pinot Grigio wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped scallion
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Juice and zest from one lemon & wedges from a second for plating
- 14 asparagus spears, bottoms trimmed
- 1 large bunch arugula
- 1 1/3 cups fresh garden or snow peas
- 4 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Pat dry scallops with paper towel, then salt & pepper liberally.
- Mix vinegar, scallion, lemon juice & 1 tablespoon oil in a large bowl.
- Slice six asparagus spears into strips and add to bowl together with arugula. Cut the remaining spears into ½ inch pieces and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add fresh garden or snow peas and asparagus pieces, season with salt & pepper and cook for 1-2 minutes. Strain pan contents and add to bowl. Toss bowl contents.
- Return pan to medium-high heat. After adding remaining oil, add scallops and cook on one side for 3-5 minutes, until golden brown. Remove scallops, reduce heat to low and add butter. Return scallops to pan, browned side up. Turn off heat when second side is light brown (about 1 minute) and let residual heat complete cooking.
- Place salad on plates, top with scallops and a touch of lemon yest. Drizzle brown butter for those who wish and garnish plates with lemon wedges.